POSITION TITLE: Economic Development Director
STATUS: Fulltime Salaried
FLSA: The position is considered Exempt according to the Fair Labor Standards Act and will not receive overtime or compensation time for hours worked over 40 hours a week.
PURPOSE: Responsible for facilitating economic development activities which foster, encourage, promote, assist or otherwise aid growth and development in the Lyon County Area.
ACCOUNTABILITY: The Economic Development Director shall be accountable to the Lyon County Board of Supervisors and shall receive employee benefits under the Lyon County Employee Handbook unless superseded by an Employment Contract.
1) ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
- Develop, implement and review short and long-term programs of work
- Coordinate business & industrial recruitment efforts in the Lyon County Area
- Conduct development relocation negotiations and transactions
- Establish and maintain relationships with existing business, industry, governmental and other groups interested in economic development activities throughout Lyon County
- Encourage regional economic development opportunities, sharing and cooperation
- Develop promotional materials for internal and external marketing efforts
- Maintain economic development database including information on available building sites
- Coordinate and provide updated information for Iowa Economic Development Authority (IEDA) and promote tourism through Travel Iowa website along with other allied marketing efforts
- Establish and maintain contact with prospects and key development allies
- Seek out, coordinate, and pursue grant opportunities for Lyon County, including preparing and submitting grant applications
- Market Lyon County for purposes of tourism and recreational opportunities – Travel Iowa or other opportunities
- Foster communication between local, regional and state entities - Develop and implement procedures for reporting efforts to county supervisors, city councils, and other funding entities.
- Maintain involvement in and relationships with related business-oriented associations (i.e.: Northwest Iowa Development, Professional Developers of Iowa)
- Develop and maintain working relationships with state agencies such as IEDA, IDOT, Northwest Iowa Planning & Development Commission, Iowa Workforce Development, State Legislators, and the Governor’s Office
- Develop appropriate organization benchmarks – Lyon County Strategic Plan and LCED Advisory Board
4) COMMITTEES AND VOLUNTEERS
- Coordinate, train and lead local industry contact teams
- Establish work groups and oversee economic development volunteer projects
- Develop and implement strategic and tactical plans
- Communicate and coordinate economic development activities with staff and members of the Board of Supervisors
- Develop and administer the organization’s budget
- Responsible for accounting procedures, monitoring and approval of all expenditures
- Develop grant and/or loan applications – Lyon County Economic Development Consortium (county revolving loan fund)
- Attend professional conferences/seminars
- Share information with colleagues, Board of Supervisors, cities and development groups, and volunteers as appropriate
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Comprehensive and broad knowledge of the techniques, procedures, principals and practices of community and economic development along with public relations. Comprehensive knowledge of available resources and research techniques applicable to these areas of responsibility. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with subordinates, officials, and the public. Ability to communicate, express facts and ideas clearly and concisely (both orally and in writing), and facilitate problem solving.
Education and Experience:
Minimum of two (2) year full time enrollment (preferably four (4) year degree) in Business Management or related from an accredited college or university with major course work in Business Management and related. 3-5 years of experience in the practice of community development and/or related business or industrial experience and/or public relations and/or related fields of experience.
Negotiable with the Board of Supervisors pending qualifications and experience, plus Lyon County benefits per Lyon County Handbook.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Bob Henningsen with Smart Solutions Group via email only at: bob@ smartsolutionsgroup.net. If questions please email or, call or, text at 515-238-2697. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.